2.27.2012

Rice Whiskey Treats

I'm a scotch drinker.  It's a very non-girly thing to enjoy but I love it.  My husband, of course, shares similar taste buds.  While at a friend's Super Bowl party, we were eating regular rice krispies treats and thought to ourselves "although delicious .. this needs something .." and then in dawned on us .. bourbon!!

After some googling I realized we were not the first to come to this realization so I do not lay claim to inventing this, however, the recipe below is my own.  Feel free to tweak it as you see fit.


Ingredients:
5 ½ cups Rice Krispies
½ stick butter
10oz bag mini marshmallows
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ cup bourbon (I used Maker's Mark because that's our fav bourbon)
pinch of sea salt

Directions:
- Melt butter and marshmallows in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Mix in vanilla and cinnamon. Remove pan from heat and add the bourbon*.
- In a large bowl, pour the marshmallow mixture over the Rice Krispies and stir to combine.
- Press into greased 8x8 pan (for thick treats) or 9x13 (for thin treats). Let cool and set.

* The alcohol will smell A LOT stronger than it really is.  Don't worry if it seems too boozy.  I promise it doesn't taste that strong at all!


For regular treats:
- Reduce Rice Krispies by 1/2 cup and leave out bourbon and cinnamon.

For Orange Creamcicle treats:
- Double the vanilla, leave out the cinnamon and replace orange liqueur for the bourbon.

4 comments:

  1. Made these despite having a little reluctance to do so given what I know about marshmallow. The amount of bourbon, plus vanilla seemed a little high, and sure enough it was. I was left with krispies that had absorbed the large amount liquid. They weren't soggy, but they weren't krisp. A real disappointment. Should have relied on my kitchen chemistry and tried the recipe with significantly less bourbon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...